A healthy diet should include nutritious vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains, and more. While no superfood can cure breast cancer, experts encourage people to eat a balanced diet to reduce the risk of cancer. Whether you believe it or not, your diet habits and lifestyle changes can make a positive difference.
Can a healthy diet prevent or help breast cancer?
Making a good diet choice is essential. It is important to maintain a healthy weight through daily exercise and a nutritious diet. The National Cancer Institute recommends everyone exercise 4-5 hours a week to maintain hormone levels and lower breast cancer risk.
Food that Promotes Better Breast Health & Immunity
- Leafy green vegetables: Eat green vegetables that are rich in fibre, iron, and vitamins.
- Cruciferous vegetables: They are known to regulate cell growth in multiple ways. Vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, radish, broccoli, turnip, and more are rich in vitamins C, E, and K. They also have a high fibre content.
- Blueberries: They are rich in apoptosis, which has a self-destructive property that fights cancer cells.
- Pomegranate: It contains polyphenols which have anti-oxidant properties to prevent cancer growth.
- Sweet Potatoes: Studies suggest that women who eat sweet potatoes regularly are at a 17% lower risk of developing breast cancer.
- Garlic: It contains allicin, which is said to inhibit the division of cancer cells. Eating raw garlic can maximise the anti-cancer effects.
- Walnuts: Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, phytosterols, and antioxidants, they help regulate oestrogen levels and slow the growth of breast cancer cells.
- Flaxseeds: They lower blood pressure and cholesterol. It is the richest source of lignans, which is an antioxidant that reduces tumour growth.
- Green Tea: Loaded with a lot of antioxidant properties, it is said to have immense health benefits.
- Salmon: It is loaded with rich Omega-3S and vitamins B12 and D. It provides maximum nutrients to your body to regulate cell growth and prevent cancer.
- Turmeric: It is a commonly used spice in India that fights against cancer-causing cells. Curcumin in turmeric is a natural cancer-fighting compound.
Don’t forget to read – Does sleeping with a bra cause breast cancer?
12. Whole grains: They are rich in minerals and vitamins. Grains such as quinoa, barley, oats, whole wheat, and brown rice should be included in your healthy breast cancer diet.
13. Legumes: They contain folic acid and fibre along with other nutrients to prevent cancer risk.
14. Soy: The plant-based protein is rich in antioxidants. Soy milk, tofu, and soy yoghurt contain low carbohydrates that control body weight and reduce the risk of breast cancer.
15. Brazil Nut: It is rich in selenium, fibre, and phytochemicals that help fight inflammation and improve the immune system by preventing cancer growth.
Healthy Breast Cancer Diet: Food to Avoid
- Spicy, crunchy, acidic food
- Undercooked or under processed food
- Red meat
- Sugar-Sweetened beverages
- Refined grains
- Highly processed food
Eating a nutritious diet is essential to prevent breast cancer. It can also boost your immune system and keep you strong. You need to consider regular medical appointments, and breast self-examination for early detection and diagnosis.
Disclaimer – The food references mentioned in this blog are inspired by suggestions provided by the National Cancer Institute. For more information on nutrition management and diet recommendations, please refer to the official website.